Dusk Crusade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Barking Yam

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Barking Yam Empty The Barking Yam

Post by Joseph Magnus Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Located in new york city is the barking yam; a standard small bar consisting of wooden floors on the inside, and adorned with an old pool table in the upper right hand corner, a few tables join this selection of accessories to the otherwise drab and fairly dingy bar, though by far what sees the most use is the large bar surrounded by bar stools, as behind this is housed the precious liquor, on shelves and in dispensers, and etc. A cash register is found behind this as well, and the only things noticeable readily are the bathroom and office doors whose signs have faded from lack of care, and use over the years. On the outside this bar looks little more than a building with worn green doors, splotched windows, and a neighborhood surrounding it to match the likes of this establishment.

The bathrooms are standard and maintain at least manageable sanitation, they are not as bad off as the average patron might think, and the office is the place where most business is taken care of, and records are kept. It is in a sense, your standard office. The door and windows, as well as the walls have been soundproofed to give the person working inside of it some peace and almost quite if they have to do business during serving hours.

Beneath it, if one were to take the stairs found behind the wall on the left side of the bar one would see a large storage room containing all of the supplies one needs to continue to run this mediocre business, like an ice box more glasses and so on. In the far end of this room is the freezer where the perishables are kept.

The most interesting aspect of the bar is by far it's sign, which has ceased working for some time now. It is a black cat, continually bobbing up and down inside of a black magicians hat, the label in a once vibrant, now dulled purple reading. "The Barking Yam." Unfortunately this sign has rusted, causing the cat to bob only halfway up from the hat before getting stuck, rattling for a moment, and then going down again. The constant sound of metal on metal can only just be heard, and is not often a problem for the patrons on a rowdy, or even mild saturday night.
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet
Souls: 1
Organization: Independent
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

The Barking Yam Empty Re: The Barking Yam

Post by Von Smackie Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Sighing, Von looked up at the broken down sign that read: The Barking Yam. Her home away from home, she thought, smiling softly at it. Fishing her keys out of her over sized brown leather purse she jangled them once before finding the key she needed and plunging it into the lock. The door was already unlocked. Maybe the owner was here already? She knew she locked up the night before. Von peered at the dingy windows in vain trying to see if the lights were on but it was no use. Maybe one night she should actually clean these windows, then again, maybe not. The patrons of this establishment liked their privacy.  Pushing the door it stuck slightly before opening.

“Big Al?” She called out looking around the bar.  The lights were already on and the chairs taken down from the tables.

“In here, Sweetheart,” came the gruff reply from the office.

“Just checking!” she called back, relaxing.  It was odd for Big Al to be at the bar so early but it did happen every so often. Crossing the room she weaved around the scattered tables and over to the bar, the old wooden floor creaking as she did so.  Von gently dropped her purse on the floor and nudged it under the bar, where it was safe for the night, with her foot. Turning to the cash register she began taking the money out of the till, section by section, she counted it to make sure they float was still exact. It was good. After that, the only thing left to do was bend down and flick on the PA system. Which she did and set the radio to the golden oldies station that the patrons normally liked. Everything was good to go, she was finished opening, and the only thing left to do was wait for customers.

Taking her phone out of her pocket she opened up Angry Birds and began to play as she began her wait.
Von Smackie
Von Smackie

Character sheet
Race: Vampire

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:44 pm

OOC: VON! Your post is awesome!

Joseph had narrowly escaped that brush with the law, and had been running ever since. It really had taken it's tole on him, he had lost weight, and had never really needed to, and he hadn't slept for a couple days.

His stomach felt hollow still, he'd barely had anything to eat for some time now, and was starving for something. Luckily the effects of his last rune had worn off by now, that splitting head ache, the constant retching, that had been nearly unbearable on the run, he had felt like he would die after it's use when he was able to just rest the week after!

Joseph traveled the chilling night slowly, leaning heavily on his staff, os heavily no one would assume he didn't actually need it to keep walking. He missed his car but it would be a dead giveaway for him to be driving around in it. He'd had to steal some cars one his way here, and some money. He wished he'd stolen more food.

Leaning against the hard stone wall Joseph closed his eyes and breathed deeply, just trying to stay awake. Somewhere in the distance, he saw a light, someone entered a a building, a bar maybe? That sounded like a good idea...to good of an idea to resist actually.

Joseph coughed as he forced himself forward, his throat was so dry. It had felt like forever since he had had a moments rest. For all the law knew he wasn't even in New York, and he was starting to think unless he rested, he might just die.

Joseph walked down the dark sidewalk towards the dimly lit building, the grating metal of their malfunctioning sign resounding against the screech of the door as he opened it. Joseph smiled a small bit for the first time in a long time as he entered the bar, it did have food, and there could be a demon from hell working here and he would still eat whatever it served him.

Joseph's eyes got a little wider as he looked at the person behind the bar, the person NOT aging before his eyes, one of the "abandoned" as he called them. The ones who slipped out of time and could never find their way back. Such a cold dark world it must be Joseph thought to himself. Regardless, he couldn't stand not eating a moment longer.

Joseph greeted her as best he could with his parched and tired throat. "Hello there Miss, I need a burger, and something strong please, mix it with a soda, leave the rest of the can if you could."

Joseph smiled as best he could at her, but he didn't know if he pulled it off or not, he barely had enough energy to sit down on one the stools near her. He held his jacket around him closely trying to find some warmth in it as he spoke to her, taking off his hat to set it down on the bar.
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Von Smackie Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:35 am

Von watched the new comer a moment, her head cocked to one side, she blinked at him. He sat in front of her giving her a wavering smile and pulled his coat close around him like he was cold. They got all sorts in The Barking Yam but he was still an odd one. Bending down below the bar Von grabbed a bag of pretzels and can of peanuts. Bringing them above the bar, she took out two bowls and poured the contents into them.

“We don’t have a kitchen, so I can’t help you for food but we do have some peanuts and pretzels,” she said placing a few bowls in front of him.  She could practically hear his stomach growling from behind the bar. She felt for him. His hands shook slightly as he brought the snack to his mouth and his eyes were bloodshot. His coat hung off his frame and his hair was scraggly. He looked in need of a meal and a good night’s rest.

“Rum and Coke good?” She asked. Grabbing a squat glass she dug it in the ice bucket and filled it up. Then she reached for the Captain Morgan and poured out a shot before cracking a can of Coke and filling up the glass. Placing the glass and can in front of him she frowned.  

“I’d take it easy on the drink, you look a little rough there, friend.” She nodded at the glass. She reached for another tall glass. Filling it with ice and water she placed it in front of him as well.

“That’ll be eight dollars for the Rum and Coke,” she said.
Von Smackie
Von Smackie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Joseph nodded as she told him that they didn't have a kitchen, his hope sinking to an all new low with the thought that he wouldn't be able to get something to eat. But as she pulled out some peanuts from behind the bar, he started to dig in to them with hardly a thought beyond eating them as quickly as he could.

Joseph once he was finally done dining on the snacks, taking his fill of them, had his attention brought back to the real world in time to hear the woman behind the bar comment on him needing to take things easy on the drink. He almost laughed, that was such a normal comment from none other than a vampire to a man who was both on the run from the law, and not exactly a normal human himself.

He nodded his head once more if she asked him if rum and coke was alright, he honestly didn't care. He just needed something. When she set it down before him he slowly took a large draft of it bringing the cup to his dried lips, and feeling the warm yet tingling sensation of the drink run down his parched throat he closed his eyes in relief. His thirst being sated, that horrible itch, that terrible cold, they were gone, at least for now.

Joseph smiled at her genuinely this time and pulled out 8$ to give to her, and then a five for a tip.

Joseph spoke, less gruffly this time. "Thanks, I'm Joseph, what is your name? Sorry I didn't ask earlier, been a rough few days."
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Von Smackie Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Von eyed the new comer a moment before speaking.  

“I’m Von,” she said, sticking out a hand for him to shake.  

“And don’t worry about it, we all have those days.” She smiled brightly at Joseph. Grabbing the rum bottle she put it back with the rest and reached under the bar to top up his peanuts.

“You want to talk about it?” she asked, leaning against the bar casually. The wood of the long table was cool to the touch.

“Being a bartender makes me an honourary shrink.” She winked and waited for a reply.
Von Smackie
Von Smackie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Joseph shook her hand and retained his smile for her as she shined one gently down on him. So strange, here she was smiling at him as if she just wanted to talk, and here he was shaking her hand and smiling right back, but just as ready to pull out his gun and unload a shell in to her as he was to continue smiling.

He didn't understand her angle honestly, he wasn't entirely convinced she meant to hurt him but knew that she certainly could if she wanted to. Or at least, she could try. Joseph mulled over the possible circumstances that could come from this. She needed to drink blood to survive, he imagined she killed for that, but she retained her job, and she retained virtually a normal appearance in front of others. So she was probably clever about this. She probably only went after easy kills, or just what she needed. What was safe.

So, establishing himself as a challenge, if not a threat should keep him safe from her attempts to eat him, unless she was really desperate, in which case if she was there was no point in delaying what was about to go down anyways.

Joseph's smile took on a slightly cynical look as he pulled out a cigarette from his pocket and a lighter, also stolen, but he found that they really did help him out when he was on the run. Joseph light the cigarette before he responded.

Label first, label first. Joseph repeated to himself mentally, he grew smarter with every day so it seemed, or rather, more cunning. He found that when your life and freedom depend on something you get pretty good at doing that thing, pretty fast. In this case, it was not leaving a trail, just the single discarded cigarette of a brand that he is known to use could set people once lost on his trail all over again. Solution, smoke the label on it first, they won't be able to tell what kind of cigarette it was.

This works well to keep things obscure, and even if they pick up that he is a smoker, he can throw them off by quitting and starting periodically. Just one more detail that they couldn't get on him might make a world of difference in the end. But that only worked if he actually quit when he needed to.

The devil was always in the detail.

Joseph took the short moments between getting this cigarette ready and inhaling once, letting it linger in his lungs and blowing it out politely away from his host for the moment before responding to her.

"Well, I guess I wouldn't mind talking about it. It's not even that long of a story. It all started a while ago, when I killed two people. Hm, maybe people isn't the right word here. They were monsters. Though they looked like people. Talked like em' to.

But I see through them, they can't hide from my eyes. One of them, jumped on my car as I tried to get away, broke my window with his bare hand, I don't remember much of what happened, I might have tried shooting him, maybe I skipped that and just drove straight in to the wall. That's how I broke my wrist, and my rib. But he died.

When I woke up, I was in a hospital, I won't tell you how I escaped my guard, and then the entire police force. I need a few secrets to myself no? Anyways, I've been on the run for a very long time now. Too long, I've thought more than once I was gonna drop just from walking."

Joseph didn't drop his smile as he spoke, or his guard, especially not as he asked his own question. Taking a small break to see how she reacted to his words, he breathed in a few more drags of his cigarette, blowing them out once more away from Von.

"Tell me. Mis. Von; why are you different than rest? Why are you different from those other monsters out there...you don't seem like a killer. In fact your down right pleasant to be around. And not the disgusting kind of pleasant that some of your kind radiate either. The kind that makes you drop your guard, the kind that makes you think in the back of your mind that they are a little too perfect. Nope. Normal. I would call you normal if I didn't know better."
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Von Smackie Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 am

Von smiled softly at Joseph from across the bar hoping her smile was comforting. The kind of smile that said she was a person willing to lend an ear. But the one she received in return had her doubting her good intentions, as Joseph’s smile took on a slightly cynical glint.  

“I feel like this is going to get heavy really fast,” she joked leaning on the bar in an attempt to act casual. She watched as he took out a cigarette and lighter from his pocket. Lighting up, he waited a beat before taking a drag and holding it in a moment, before politely blowing it out away from her.  Turning his head back to her he began the tale of his troubles.

“You’re joking right?” She asked when she got the chance. His tale was one of murder and monsters. He had just told her he had massacred people.

“You’re not joking?” she whispered over him when he continued his story.

“Are you insane? You killed people? What the hell is wrong with you?” She pushed off the bar and turned in a full circle not sure of what to do. Running a hand through her hair, she let out a huff. What the hell was this? What kind of person would tell someone they didn’t even know that they were a serial killer and that he killed people because they were monsters! A crazy person, that’s who. It was a good thing she was a vampire or she’d be really freaked out right about now. Hell, she was still a little wigged out.  

He stopped talking long enough for her to process everything he just said and took another drag of his cigarette. Von was getting ready to back away when it hit her.

“Hang on, you know what I am?” She practically squeaked over the music and leaned into the bar again. He had fought monsters! She was (technically) a monster.

“Are you a wizard?” she asked incredulously. He had said something about an eye. Maybe he was like Mad Eye Moody.

“You have a magic eye that lets you just know things?” she said in amazement. If she was a vampire, then wizards had to exist too, right? Why the hell wouldn’t they? Which meant he wasn’t a complete psycho killer and had been being chased by monsters… but then there were the guards he got away from. Though he hadn’t said he’d killed them - and wait a second!

“I don’t understand, am I different or normal?” she asked completely missing the point. Her tone made it clear he’d better be careful how he answered that question.  

Von Smackie
Von Smackie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Joseph continued to smile at her letting her carry on with her stream of questions. Gently chuckling at a few of them. To be honest, she might be a vampire. But that was nothing he hadn't taken care of before. The tone of her last question seemed almost  threatening...almost. But maybe, and Joseph thought this. It was just desperate. Desperate for an answer about what she was and what she had become.

Joseph gave her a curious glance for a moment, cocking his head to the side. He blinked once as he placed his hand to his eye, opening them very wide as he removed the contact lens with a blue eye on it. To reveal the silver hourglass underneath. And then doing the same with the other one he would study her reaction. See how she responded to this. He placed them gently on the counter blinking rapidly a few times. It was so long that he got to remove these dreadful things, left his eyes terribly dry.

He looked at her with a straight face, serious, but at the same time. Not entirely cruel. His voice was soft as he spoke, he wanted her to strain herself to listen to his words. Make sure that they really sunk in.

"Your different from the rest of your kind. However, It's because you act so very much like a normal human being that makes you different. I can't explain it to be perfectly honest. I've never seen this, nor even heard of this happening. And to answer your question...yes I suppose. I'm like a wizard. My magic doesn't really do what you think it would however. It's, well, it comes from runes of power. I draw my strength from them and work through them. Like magical tools almost. To focus and shape the energy. But my eyes...ah these eyes. They're a gift from dear old dad. When he sold me to a demon. And no. I don't mean that figuratively. These eyes....they reveal too much...they show me only death. And when I look at people like you. I-I see. Something different than life, and something different than death. I won't go further. It's not a subject I enjoy."

Joseph tried to keep a straight face as he spoke, but honestly it was difficult for him. His father, had done nothing for him but use and abuse his family to further his own vindictive power hungry schemes. His mother had gone first, and though he had died before Joseph himself could be swallowed up completely in to that madman’s hands, but in his mind he hadn’t died soon enough. He had still been able to scar him such that he would never recover. In more ways than one.

Joseph laid his cigarette down on a near by ash tray, as he took another drink from the beverage before him. With a sigh he set it down nearly empty. Looking once more at his hostess he bit his lower lip in thought for a moment Then said to her.

“You peak my curiosity Von. That’s why I am going to ask you this once, and only once. And remember, if you lie, I can see it. (Here Joseph made sure to stare in to her eyes making his own obviously disfigured yet mystical pair very noticeable to her.) Consider this an honor that I am even asking, if I didn’t feel that the answer could be what I hope it is I would just do what I normally do. And kill you. Have you ever killed anyone? Ever drank the blood of an innocent victim? Turned him into a disgusting ghoul? Ever abused your powers and used them to rip someone apart with your bare hands?”

Joseph was lying about the eye thing, but she couldn’t know that. His mind focused on his rune of protection at this time, about to let it fly should the need arise. He also made note of the gun at his side, not bringing it visible but as he picked up his cigarette with his left hand his right went to pull his jacket around him again, but this was just a ploy to leave his right hand near his waist without causing suspicion.

If her answer was yes. Joseph would kill her. Or at least, he would try. If no, well, in that case Joseph would ask her some more questions. She interested him to no end. And honestly, he was tired, so tired of running, of killing. He prayed she would just tell him yes, and then maybe he could just get drunk and pass out on the bar for a while. Something he’d dreamed of doing for a few days now.
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seymour Harris Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Dice roll, go!
Seymour Harris
Seymour Harris

Character sheet
Souls: 2

Back to top Go down

Post by John Smith Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 pm

The member 'Seymour Harris' has done the following action : Dices roll

'Twenty' : 19
John Smith
John Smith
Admin

Character sheet

http://boblogical.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seymour Harris Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:29 pm

(OOC) And along came Bender.

Damn, that was a fun trip. Some tea and crumpets while he was on the tube, watched some cricket on the telly, and danced with a cat. It was nice to be back in the States, though. And in New York, apparently. He was hungry, though. Had to find a place to eat. And that bar looked just fine. Well, in front of it, at least, since there was a nice old man taking a piss in front of the dumpster.

Tiptoeing up behind him like a weirdo, he bit into the man's neck, violently ripping his throat out and taking a hearty drink of his blood. Sucking up the last of it as his skin absorbed what was wasted on his face, he decided it would be a fun time to pluck out his eye. He did just that, slipping it into his empty socket as the glowing shadows engulfed it. He felt his temporary power kick in. "It's Adventure Time!" he yelled in a hushed tone, so as not to disturb any of the maggots in the trash.

Pushing open the door to the bar, he caught the last bits of that pretentious-ass speech the ugly man was giving to the poor, innocent vampire. Well, he wasn't going to stand for that. "Fear not, young maiden!" he called out, using his new found stretching limbs to extend his arm out to grasp at the man's neck and crush his esophagus. "I shall save you from this fearsome vagabond!" Just like the rest of his body, his newly elastic arm was just as fast as he was. This stupid human hunter wouldn't know what hit him. Soon he'd be dead, and the new super special awesome sparkly amazing chocolately fudge-coated vampire friends could share a nice meal together.
Seymour Harris
Seymour Harris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:58 pm

And in came...the idiot. The one who decided that by announcing his attack he would somehow give himself an advantage. This wasn't normally how fights went, in any scenario. Much less this one.

A pentagram formed between Joseph and the blood soaked man before him, keeping him in the circle and that arm away from him. As well as the rest of him for a while now too. Joseph made sure not to hurt his hostess Von, whom he still doubted was a killer when he formed this. He was immediately up however his pistol out and his complexion rather fierce. He gave a growl out as this battle ensued to Von.

"You see why I have to ask! You see why this has to be a question at all!? This is what they're normally like, blood soaked killers that don't give a single f*ck about who's heart they've just ripped out of it's rip cage!"

Joseph was furious at this intruder, he had just wanted to relax, he still did. But just like moments ago, he would be willing to do whatever he had to do to survive, and to kill the monsters that had made his a life a living hell since the day he was born it seemed.

Joseph sprayed bullets at this intruder from his gun. About three in the little time he had. He gave no thought to Von, he wouldn't expect her to help him, but he also didn't think she would by the type to try attacking either. He guessed he just had some faith in her.

Spoiler:
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Von Smackie Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Von watched as Joseph brought his hands up to his eyes and took out his contacts. Placing them on the counter top he blinked a few times before starting at her with his disfigured eyes. Her mouth dropped open into a slight ‘o’ shape. Those eyes were totally normal, she thought to herself sarcastically, not creepy at all. Von straightened abruptly as she caught herself leaning forward to get a better look at them as he spoke.  

“I seriously hope you aren’t going to put those back in.” She gestured to the contacts on the bar. “You’ll get an eye infection or do your people not get infections?” she asked incredulously.

Taking his cigarette from his mouth he flicked it once before placing it in the ashtray. Lifting his rum and coke he took a sip of the almost empty beverage and set it down again before speaking again. His tone was calm and soft but Von couldn’t help but feel like she was being threatened.

“Do I look like a murderer? What is wrong with you?” She questioned him, feeling a little offended.  “You know I’m not bound by a confidentiality clause right? Did you miss the honorary part of my honorary shrink title? What’s to stop me from calling the cops?”  In her peripheral vision Von saw the bar door open and groaned. That was exactly what she needed right now, another customer to add to the crazy.  

“Don’t cause any sh*t, alright?” She whispered to Joseph and pointed a finger at him.  Turning to the new comer she was about to greet them when she realized they were soaked in blood. The silver haired man spoke and then his arms extended across the bar. A pentagram formed between Joseph and the blood soaked man in front of him keeping them apart as he yelled to her.

“He’s a Vampire?” she inquired, backing away from him. “What did you do to piss him off?” It had to be something pretty bad to get this kind of reaction out of someone.  

“Excuse me sir! Could you take this fight outside and not destroy my bar?”  Von called out to him, slowly moving towards the office door when Joseph took out a gun and fired three shots.  

“God damn it, Joseph, MY BAR!” She screamed while running across the room and grabbing the office door to keep it closed and Big Al from coming out into this madness. She had a feeling this was going to get messy.

OOC: I'll just stay in my spot until the fight is over. Have fun killing each other.
Von Smackie
Von Smackie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seymour Harris Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 pm

(OOC) Let's run by this step by step. In your introduction, you say you "...hadn't slept for a couple days." You've also been drinking, which, on someone who hasn't eaten or slept in a considerable amount of time, would hit them a lot quicker and harder than normal. Basically, you're about as alert and attentive as Markiplier. I also made sure to mention that I yelled while attacking and not after, so you couldn't instantly stop my attack. That should also be impossible, since your magic hand has to place your rune before it can be active, meaning there is a time delay. Seymour is also Fledgling level. I'm calling a hit, but, since I'm nice, I won't call a kill. You're far from battle ready, though.

His grip tightened around the human's neck, just about to crush through bits of spinal cord and trachea, only to be blown back by some weird magic circle. It gave him a booboo. Apparently, fist punching wasn't going to do any good with that stupid, worthless, ugly, disgusting coward hiding inside his little barrier. He'd have to find an alternate route to beating him to death.

With his super flexible and stretchy body (who, he'd like to remind people, is perfectly single and ready to mingle), he avoided the subpar attack by three bullets. He stretched an arm to grab a stool, tossing it at the man's chest through the circle to try and knock him out of it. It seemed like, at first glance, that thing would only keep him out, but good ol' wooden stools should probably be okay.

He managed to catch Toonami last weekend, so he was still going on a Naruto buzz. Deciding he wanted to be a snake now, he stretched himself to slither on the ground, knocking up various objects to fling at the man as he maneuvered around at high speed on his tum tum.
Seymour Harris
Seymour Harris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Spoiler:

Curse it all, that hand had managed to get around his neck after all. Must have been slow on the draw, ah well. It happens. His protection came just in time to stop the hand from critically injuring him anyways, and seeing it bounce off Joseph took in a few gasps of breath from his once more open throat.

He coughed out a chuckle or too as Von yelled at him for breaking her bar. He felt sad for her. She really was quite nice, she didn't deserve this. The only good vampire possibly ever and he was making her life a living nightmare. That wasn't alright.

As Joseph breathed in through his lungs which demanded more air he was reminded of a time when his father had once more decided to use him as a little test subject, while he tried to create a rune which spewed a gaseous construct that when in contact with a monsters flesh would burn it like acid. Unfortunately the only thing that he had managed to do was nearly choke him to death a few times. The kicker was that he used Joseph as his lab rat to try and find a way to make the gas not harmful to humans. That damned man.

Joseph gritted his teeth, he hated this thing. He hated it and the way he treated life with so little care, just like his father had. He hated him all the more because it was their existence that had prompted the "need" to test such techniques. This creature would die, and after he had died Joseph would cut his body in to pieces and then set the remains on fire.

Joseph's anger served to clear his mind even further, things became easier as he focused less on his problems and more on killing this thing.

He saw the incoming stool, not taking his eyes off his opponent. He did not bother to move, only to get up and take a better position in his circle. The stool flew through the air but curved to the side of Joseph as it soared at him. Missing him entirely.

His arm now black and numb, the stool was his to control. He possessed it, literally. As was obvious by the rune now inscribed on it. His spectral hand still following his commands he put to use preparing another rune.

This creature got down on the floor and started to slighter....yes...he was seeing this right, slither, and through that throw things at him. The stool would fly once more but this time back at the objects attacking him. There were only a few tables in here, each only had a handful of chairs. And only a couple managed to fly in the right direction to actually pose a threat to Joseph. The items that were thrown his way were easily nocked aside by his stool. He didn't need to stop them, just smack them and get them off course.

Joseph could have done more, could have maybe even killed this sucker. But he didn't want to bother Von anymore. She didn't deserve this.

"Never seen this guy before. Honestly Von. Most vampires are like this...to a degree. You can imagine why I needed to make sure you really weren't dangerous.

I'm sorry Von. Your right, this is your bar. Me and this creature will easily destroy it. I'm going to go now, I may come back I may not. But I won't be bothering you like this again. You might be a vampire. But I won't hurt you. I only kill monsters."

Joseph spoke as the fight ensued not letting it distract him but also making sure Von understood what he was saying. He wanted her to know that he really did believe her, that she really was special amongst that horrible race. That she should never change. Otherwise, he would have to break that promise, and come back.

"Yo, snake man. We're troubling the lady. Let's take this outside huh! just you and me, no one to get in our way. If you really want to save this...young maiden, then you'll take me up on this offer to get her out of danger."

Joseph did not let his guard down. Did not leave himself open, and was still preparing for his next attack if in fact this creature did not take him up on his offer. But still, this thing was crazy enough to maybe just listen to him. He doubted he really cared for Von's safety but...honestly he couldn't figure this guy out. So he gave it a shot for what it's worth.

The stool no longer possessed, Joseph was freeing himself for another tactic. One involving a bit more booms, and a bit more...raw power. If he did say so himself.

Spoiler:
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seymour Harris Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Apparently, these objects decided to turn on him. Traitors, every one of them. He made his way behind the bar, giving a wink from the floor as he started grabbing liquor bottles from behind the thing as cover. He ripped any tops that might exist off with several flaps of skin from one arm, looking around with his special eyes for a source of fire. Just his luck, there was a matchbook next to the register (which was also, conveniently, behind cover). Some skin pieces began to collect some dirty rags, stuffing them into the bottles and shaking them as he attempted to light the match.

It took two tries, but it worked. To his advantage, that smelly man had started to monologue like a supervillain, buying him plenty of time to light all ten of the things. "Oh, that sounds like a great plan," he said, holding all of the bottles with his extra appendages while being as sincere as possible. "But just to warn you, I'm pretty sure my next move will be a smashing success!" He tossed the bottles. At the man. And they'd probably smash. Get it? It was good to be funny. But, seriously, he tossed them all around, so he was going to burn to death horribly.

(OOC) I can speak out of character, too, senpai! So, I used all your talking (not a free action, bro) to start grabbing things behind the counter that I went to when I was slithering around like a spoopy snake. I used my extra stretchy extendo-skin to grab lots of stuff at once, all of which Von has informed me would exist behind cover where you can't see me. I pop out as a response when I give my vague warning which, if you understand means, "Flaming bottles of whiskey, coming right at you!" I'll be forced to assume you've gained a mind reading rune just now. I toss all ten bottles at and around you, meaning that, unless you can teleport away, they should block you on all sides while one or two comes directly at your body.

Also, snakes are fast as shit. Look at that mamba.
Seymour Harris
Seymour Harris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:07 am

Spoiler:

Joseph saw that this creatures hand after casting a stool at him receded towards the bar behind his peripheral vision. Joseph had no way of knowing exactly where that hand was going after he lost sight of it, though he imagined it might be to try throwing another stool at him. Unfortunately he couldn't turn to look at it, as he needed to give his sight to the creature before him who he knew if he gave him the opening would certainly abuse that, and attempt another killing blow on him.

But Joseph almost chuckled as he smelled the burning match, and then the smoke from the bar rags. This was unexpected. Molitof Cocktails, classic. Apparently this creature didn't want to throw just one, but quite a few given how long that  smell remained in the air, before he actually threw something at him. It might have been the fact that he tried lightening so many Joseph would be able to respond in time. Joseph wasn't going to take chances on giving him any time at all to throw those blasted things. As it was he barely managed to do this in time to counter the attack.

Using the rune of protection once more that he had been preparing he summoned up another circle, but this time it would appear so that the diameter would cover the entire area of the bar from directly behind Joseph until the very end of the bar.

He heard the satisfying busting of bottles as this creatures arm was expelled mid pun from the area of his circle, many of the bottles slamming against the rack itself as the vampires arm was utterly rejected by the sphere, catapulting it and whatever it held on to away from Joseph and against the the things around it, destroying all possible momentum and chance of being able to throw the bottles in his direction.  

At this time Joseph also used his rune of possession to control one of the tables that he had managed to redirect from hitting him, it was only a couple feet away as it crashed against the bar to his side, and since it was a table he had only managed to knock it slightly off course. That proved to be very advantageous for him.  

Joseph moved the table behind him as he took a step forward to accommodate it's size, it was tight behind his back, blocking off the other side of him that the pentagram would not. Due to the angles involved he had not only banished one side from even being thrown, but had managed to protect his back and his other side with the circular table, which did indeed shield him from the bottle aimed at him that had escaped his rune, and also from some of the splash of the bottles that actually landed on his other side. Though they were few compared to the multitude prepared.

Joseph would admit, that was a nice tactic. Even though he had seen the arm recede after it's attempt to throw a stool at him Joseph didn't dare turn his back to his opponent for fear of a direct strike. And he couldn't play his defense too soon otherwise this creature who had sight advantage would have just worked around it. It had all rather failed when he lit that match, it was a stark smelly contrast between the otherwise damp dank bar, and even though Joseph's words might have covered up the sound he could still smell perfectly fine, especially as the fire grew to ignite not just the match but quite a few rags.

What was the only thing behind the bar that this creature would want to throw at him while on fire? Well, Joseph hoped that there wasn't a man alive who couldn't guess the answer to that.

He was thankful that his rune of possession could travel differently than the pentagram. It was what made his defense possible, and enabled him to blow away and block this massive attack all at once.

"Someone seems to have forgotten that the smell of matches is often used to drive off even the most wretched stenches from the bathrooms."

Joseph said sarcastically to this thing. He fired off his gun at him again; doing it as he spoke, it was an old trick. You start speaking, and you keep speaking as you make your attack. No pauses, no breaths, no breaks. Occasionally threw people off.

Joseph was willing to bet that this sucker had complete overconfidence in his strike, and had expected at least a distraction if not a kill. He probably wasn't the most ready to begin dodging bullets. That was just fine with Joseph. This bullet would lodge itself in the stretchy bendy area of this things heart if he had his way.

Lastly, he let the ace be released. Regardless of the pain that he would suffer later, he would need probably need this to put the finishing touches on his plan. Especially considering the fire and the fact that it would soon spread.

Spoiler:
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Travers Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:46 pm

OOC KILL REQUEST RULING:

I've been asked to rule on a potential kill regarding the last few posts. I've read them multiple times as well as the OOC arguments delivered via PM. Based on all of that I'll try to summarize CLEARLY the exact course of events as I understand them to explain my ruling. I HIGHLY encourage the two of you to speak to one another regarding your physical positions in the chatbox before posting anything else.

Order of events:

- Seymour slithered behind the bar while Joseph was speaking to Von and began gathering/lighting his bottles.

- Noticing the sudden lull behind the bar and smoke, Joseph utilized his pentagram to erect a barrier along part of the bar and dragged a table over to block his undefended section. Based on the wording of the posts, it should have been going on at roughly the point the following line was said "Yo, snake man. We're troubling the lady. Let's take this outside huh! just you and me, no one to get in our way. If you really want to save this...young maiden, then you'll take me up on this offer to get her out of danger."

- Seymour pops up to throw his bottles and comes into contact with the barrier over part of the bar. Based on Joseph's sheet, the barrier does not violently repel vampires ala Angra Mainyu, it simply prevents them from passing through. With this in mind, one of two things can happen with the barrier side bottles. A. Seymour maintains his grip on them and is free to use them as he likes in his next post. B. The bottles slip from his grip when his arm hits the barrier and momentum causes them to continue forward, likely causing them to break over the top of the bar and the floor to create a burning half circle of fire between Joseph and the exit. This decision is of course up to Seymour.

- Uninhibited by the barrier the other bottles strike the table and likely splatter past it, lighting the table on fire immediately. Should Seymour choose to go with option B, this would leave Joseph trapped on three sides by a burning table, the bar, and fire respectively.

- The fire will continue to spread during Joseph's reply regarding matches and bathrooms and the gunfire.

I found errors in consistency and communication on both sides of the debate. Because of that I will not be approving the kill request at this time though I expect the highly dangerous fire situation to be played fairly on the part of the rune smith. Once again I HIGHLY encourage both parties to reaffirm the physical locations of their characters before posting continues.
Henry Travers
Henry Travers
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seymour Harris Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Freaky. Some kind of barrier. Another one, in fact. Oh well, not a big deal. Bottles smashed, just as the pun intended, forming the most delightful little circle around the guy. Some kind of weird table shenanigans closed it all off on the other side, too. Such consideration from his prey. Consideration and bullets, which he was able to easily avoid by ducking back behind the counter. Almost seemed like he didn't expect him to dodge. Humans.

That wasn't a big deal right now, though. The bullet smashed through another bottle behind him, which gave him a neat little idea on what to do next. He chucked another few bottles from behind the bar over his shoulder while still down below. It didn't much matter where they hit; the fire was going to rage out of control any minute now, so everywhere the bottles smashed would eventually light up. To his credit, he did try to aim them over the center of the bar where the least amount of fire would be, setting up some nice fuel for later.

This barrier actually worked to his advantage. It made a neat little circle of fire for him to keep that guy inside, and he figured he wouldn't risk getting out, since he'd be able to put his dirty, dirty paws all over his body after that. He'd let him come to him. Not like he could just charge through the fire and flames. There was only one way left to go.

"I fell into a burning ring of fire.

I went down, down, down and the flames went higher."

A little mood music never hurt. Little Mister Magic Man was running out of moves. He could either choose to charge straight into his death or wait it out and burn. Either option is fine.
Seymour Harris
Seymour Harris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:01 pm

Joseph wasted no time as things began slowing down for him. The wold moved slower, but he moved just fine through this murky, almost muddled world of sluggish pace.

The flames grew and spread but his defense had proven successful and he had boughten himself enough time for his rune to activate fully, and enhance his abilities. This would enable him to escape, rather easily actually.

Joseph's first move was to cast another pentagram, this one, the third one, would actually entrap the creature behind that bar in one area. It would radiate ten feet of protection up from the ground, and this ceiling was only nine feet tall, as was the average height in all first floors in buildings.

The first rune, blocked off the center of the bar, the second rune, blocked off the bar to Joseph's left side, as he faced it of course. This third one, this third rune would now block the bar off from Joseph's right side. Given the combined diameter of his circles had a maximum radius of 24 feet, including room for overlapping and error, that would still leave him enough space to cover the entirety of the roughly 12 foot bar length. Half of his maximum potential. He easily made this.

But he could not stop there, he could not afford to let this creature get in more strikes on him with another physical object of some kind. So as his spectral hand carried the magic of his rune with it, he merely let go, of his unconscious control on one of his runes of light. Letting it all out at once in a horrible, scathing blast of terrible light. That would blind this freak for a while, and the best thing was that he could do this at the same time his spectral hand moved, and at the same time he used his rune of possession to move the table he had used as shield.

Joseph using his rune flipped the table right side up, in the middle of the fire that lay between him and the door. The table was on fire yes, but that didn't matter all that much right now. Since the alcohol had only strike the back of it, it left the top side warm, and perhaps a bit aflame, but not covered in the burning substance that would slowly send this place in to an inferno. Which meant, that with his new speed, he would be able to use it as platform, for the half second he needed in order to dive off of it, and then to the door.

Joseph holstered his gun with his own physical hand as his display of magical might was wrought all around this foolish demon. After this he only needed to grasp his staff tightly in his good hand, while he took but a couple steps to leap with extraordinary distance and speed, on to the table, which was supported by his rune, and then with another leap he would fly off of that, over the flames again to the door, he hit the door with his staff, holding it upright in his hand making sure that that would take the brunt of the blow as he pushed open the door.

The flames barely harmed Joseph, in fact, they didn't even burn him. The table was on fire yes, but Joseph was not, and a human moving at a normal pace can pass their own hand through a fire with no damage, the human moving at supernatural speeds of this caliber had no issues at getting out of here before the actual damage could set in.

He didn't really have to shield himself with the staff, but it solved two problems, one was the high speed impact that might bruise him if he connected with the door during it, the other was simply getting his staff through the door. This solved both.

Joseph knowing that his enemy was not only blinded, trapped, and also now, outmatched by him. Wasn't extremely worried that he would catch up to him, but was still not taking chances. He was going to kill this sucker even if he couldn't be there to watch it. Still possessing the now inferno of a table, Joseph sent that blazing table right back at maximum speed into the alcohol rack, it came at it from an angle, which worked well for Joseph, and shattered a good many of the bottles, as the thing itself splintered in every direction.

The booze, was now on fire. This vampire, who could not escape his confined little area, was soaking wet, with the burning liquids, set a light, by Joseph's table, which at that point was not only covered in the flaming alcohol but had been blazing in it's own right.

Even if the vampire managed to find some way to block his attack through his blindness, highly unlikely, it would come nearly as fast he himself could move, and shatter over his body, crashing into the alcohol with the same effect, only this time in more than one place, and setting that to on fire with it's flaming shards and burning substances.

On top of it all, having thrown this table at an angle towards him after he moved it, it was likely to cause a lot of the alcohol inside of his second pentagram to explode in a hail of fiery consequence anyways.

He made sure to make his attack effective, he stayed no longer outside the building than he had too. Luckily for him once more, slowing down time he was able to observe and react to these things extremely easy, and could afford a glance or two back on his sprint out to make sure his table struck where it should. He made his escape threw the night of New York, down the streets blitzing to get away from there with his new, supernatural speed.

Maybe he hadn't chopped him to bits like he had wanted, but this vampire was going to die, how fitting that he would burn to death here on earth, just like that piece of filth would burn in hell.

---------Escape attempt/kill attempt

Spoiler:
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Travers Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:01 am

The kill request is noted and will be ruled upon after Seymour has posted in response to Joseph's most recent actions. However, the escape request is denied for several reasons. First, such an action would violate the forum rules stating that the consent of all parties in battle is necessary to flee a topic. Second, examining the state of the characters in this fight, such an escape is woefully unrealistic. While adrenaline is a powerful thing, Joseph has been described as sleep deprived, physically drained, underfed, having consumed alcohol recently, used multiple runes in quick succession, and then activated his taxing runes of time on top of this. Based on this information, it appears unlikely that he would be able to make it more than a few steps out of the bar's door, let alone run out of the city.

Additionally, several questions were raised regarding this most recent post which will be answered now to avoid yet another OOC analysis. In Joseph's sheet his barrier's are listed as having a maximum 8 feet in height, not the 10 feet described in the post. The barriers will be kept within the limits described within the character's sheet. Second, the question was raised as to whether the rune of light's movement is visible prior to the burst of light. As the process is described as a spectral hand literally pulling the rune from Joseph's staff, the rune will be considered visible prior to its "detonation."
Henry Travers
Henry Travers
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seymour Harris Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:30 am

Apparently, one thing this bar lacked was more circles. And, boy, did this guy know how to provide. Another just magically appeared right next to him. Neat.

Then, out of nowhere, the weird hand began moving another symbol forward. Unless this one did something about making cakes appear from nothing, he didn't much care, though. He closed his eyes, taking a long sigh while still below smoke level. Some cool shit must have happened while he was doing that, though, considering the massive amounts of light he felt on the insides of his eyelids while doing that. Vision was spotty when he opened them back up, for sure. Weird.

It didn't much matter, though. That Third Eye thingy he used for getting a better look at those strapping young dock workers a while back kicked in, helping to compensate for the somewhat compromised vision. Apparently, he was jumping over a table right now. Not to be outdone, the vampire took a big ol' jump up to the ceiling, stretching his body through the foot of space left by that annoying barrier. Just in time, too, since that table was now heading straight for him. Well, a bit below, since it smashed into the back of the bar, but he got a splinter in his leg. The fiend!

Landing on the other side, he decided doors were for chumps and smashed through the window, squishing through it with his amazing elasticity. A bit cut up from the glass, but it mattered little; he was already healing. The same could be said about the splinter. And look at this chump. Just taking a nap in some bloods. Not his bloods, he assumed, but that of the old pissing man from before. He waved to the vampiress inside the flaming establishment, though what became of her at this point was totally unknown. It was a good day to do what had to be done by him.

(OOC) I submit this for review on escaping kill. If so, I play with Joseph passed out on the ground.
Seymour Harris
Seymour Harris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Travers Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:17 pm

The escape appears to be in order. The kill request is denied. However, we will not go so far as to impose a state of unconsciousness on Joseph without the consent of his player. Physical and mental exhaustion are to be expected at this point, preventing the character from running through an entire city but it is a step too far to simply force him to pass out on the spot.
Henry Travers
Henry Travers
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Magnus Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:25 pm

OOC: I fully realize that the height is only 8 feet in length for the runes, the ten was an old typo that I fixed up, in every spot except for a couple it seems.

I still firmly hold the belief that this ceiling is more likely than not of the sort that would fall under the 7'9in category. Which was the average height of ceilings for older buildings. Me and Von have already  discussed when making this bar that the building is older.

As late as the 1970's that was the average height. I doubt that a building would be considered old if it wasn't at least from that time period.

Especially considering that the average American home was 34 years old in the year of 1998. Meaning most were built around 1964.

This building is specifically known as an older one among averages.

I request that Seymour's escape be looked at again, while this information is kept in mind, and if this is considered his escape attempt, that he fail. Seeing as how he will be unable to escape the runes and the explosion of alcohol. If the ceiling is so deemed to be one of that height.

But if the ruling is that the ceiling is 9 feet in height then it should be fine.

I also do not consent to having Joseph unconscious. I point out, that the only side effect listed for using the rune is a headache for two hours. That, and it can be used but once a week. Given this I would say he should not be forced unconscious, though for the sake common sense and fair play, I will indeed play him in a fair amount of pain, as well as debilitation given the many listed reasons above.

I shall post the actions of Joseph after the decision of the outcome of Seymour's escape is looked at and decided upon. If that is okay of course, if it is not I am very willing to to offer up a post. Please let me know what you have decided, and I will be happy to accept the ruling.
Joseph Magnus
Joseph Magnus

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next