Dusk Crusade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New roads, and old ways.

2 posters

Go down

New roads, and old ways.  Empty New roads, and old ways.

Post by Father Anthony Diem Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:00 am

Anthony walked down the hallway towards his office, he felt at home in the beautiful and pristine halls of this place. But nonetheless, things were changing, and these walls that he had gazed at for years seemed different somehow, as if they had changed. He supposed it was not the walls that were changing but merely himself. That was the way of the world though, things would always change. The only thing timeless was the lord almighty, and Anthony was thankful to have him as the cornerstone of his life. A rock to set his back against and find his bearings no matter where he was.

Anthony sighed happily as he looked around, though the walls felt different they were not entirely out of place. And they were both comfortable to him and still beautiful. Anthony pulled a few papers out of his pocket as he walked and unfolded them, then read over them carefully. His letter of recommendation for his replacement, and the pope's returning message of acceptance were both in his hands now. He liked his choice, Matt would make a fine leader, and perhaps a better leader for these changing times than he ever could. Was he perfect? no of course not, but no one was and Anthony least of all. He was looking forward to his meeting with him, and getting to know him a bit more.

Anthony read over the two letters for the sake of passing the time as he waited in the halls outside of his office. Waiting for the man that he would anoint himself, and pass on his role to.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet
Souls: 2
Organization: True Cross
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

New roads, and old ways.  Empty Re: New roads, and old ways.

Post by Matthias Saul Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 pm

===>Entrance

Rounding yet another of the building's winding hallways, Matthias finally set his eyes on the man he had been looking for.  He'd known Father Diem for quite some time through his position as an emissary for the True Cross but that was not to say they were particularly close.  While they certainly knew of one another, it would probably be a bit far to say that they truly knew one another.  

Of course, personal familiarity had little weight in Matthias' particular brand of analysis.  Physical features came first.  Severe trauma to both the right arm and eye were readily apparent and while Father Diem's posture appeared quite stable, he was obviously still in something of a recovery phase.  The reports had mentioned that the head of the True Cross had been wounded during his encounter with the vampire but this was well beyond Matthias' earliest assumptions.  Regardless of what anyone might have said, Matthias was well aware that Father Diem was a highly capable exorcist in the field.  It would have taken a particularly powerful opponent to inflict wounds like that immediately after engaging another priest.  

Making his way down the hallway, Matthias inclined his head in a slight bow to greet the other priest.  Social decorum would normally call for a handshake in situations like this but noting Father Diem's disabled right hand, Saul chose to forego that particular tradition.  No reason to start off this encounter by putting the man in a potentially foul mood.  For the moment at least, Matthias needed him in a good mood.  

"Hello, Father Diem.  You seem to be recovering well."
Matthias Saul
Matthias Saul

Character sheet
Souls: 1
Organization:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Anthony smiled warmly at the priest as he approached and bowed his head respectfully to him. He could see Matthias's gaze on him, perhaps inspecting the damage that had been done on to him. Anthony was aware that Father Saul was quite the deductive man, a very sharp mind. One of the reasons he had thought that he would make such a fine replacement for him.

"Hello father! It is good to see you, and thank you very much. The doctors down in the lab said that I gave them quite the scare, waiting a bit longer than I should have to come in. They're probably right of course, but all's well that ends well no? "

Anthony spoke  cheerfully and welcomingly to the good priest as he opened up the door to his office and motioned for him to take a seat.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthias Saul Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:53 pm

Father Diem was cheerful as always despite his visible injuries. Even among his fellows from the orphanage, Father Diem had always seemed like something of an irregularity within the True Cross. Many of them operated with some form of psychological or emotional disorder, both diagnosed and otherwise. Some were horribly scarred emotionally, others tended to develop a system of compartmentalization to function as merciless slayers of monsters while simultaneously supplying a kind and nurturing role to their fellow man. Some people argued that it was a simple distinction between man and monster. Matthias Saul was not most people. Regardless of the justifications, the fact remained that vampires and the like appeared to be human, for all intensive purposes acted like people, had once been people. That distinction was tenuous at best and destructive on average. Despite that, Father Diem had somehow managed to strike up a healthy balance on that perilous fence. It was a feat interesting enough to warrant further investigation but that would need to wait until another day.

His respect for Father Diem's mental fortitude aside, Matthias was not quite a cheerful enough person to return a smile just yet. Instead, he politely accepted Anthony's offer and took a seat within his fellow clergyman's office while mulling over the other particulars of his statement. The medical staff was unhappy that he hadn't turned himself in earlier. That could only mean that he left the museum under his own power prior to assistance arriving. That immediately raised the question of why no one was with him at the time but also, how exactly he had managed to survive. The report had said that the vampire did indeed flee the city but why leave without killing Diem? It made little sense to leave a living witness to its crimes. Unless it was unable to finish the job for some reason. A member of the True Cross couldn't have been the interruption and there was little else within the Vatican that could repel a vampire that powerful.

"If you'll pardon my rudeness, Father Diem, who saved you?" He bit back the inclusion of "or what" at the last moment, knowing that it would likely come across as overly inquisitional. He wanted answers but the most effective way to get them was not through force, but through creating a situation in which Father Diem would want to talk.
Matthias Saul
Matthias Saul

Character sheet
Organization:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:49 pm

"No pardon is necessary Father Saul. None at all." Anthony smiled at him once more as he took his seat on the inside of the desk pouring for his friend a glass of water if he so wished it. He set his papers down without care and stroked his chin slightly while he spoke next. Closing his eyes and appearing deep in thought.

"Honestly Father. I do not believe that I was saved that night. My time here should be up. I should be gone, and happily so I might add. I can just say that my time here has been extended for a specific purpose, something I must complete. We are but tools no? In the hands of the almighty, or at least we should strive to be."

Anthony shook his head and frowned for a moment. He was wandering again, he blamed it on old age. Adjusting his bearings he looked Father Saul in the eye, smiling once more as he began to speak to him.

"I'm sorry, I tend to wander a bit. I shall get to the point. God, came that night. But I do not believe that it was for myself. This is not a popular idea of course, but even the vampires...even the monsters I think of as my children. Of course they are sick, sick and suffering and that hurts others. So they must be put out of their misery. But our mission is the same as it always has been. First and foremost the salvation of souls. God came that night for his child but it was not me."

Anthony was not sure how Father Saul would take what he was saying but he decided to wait and let him take in that information before continuing further with anything else.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthias Saul Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 am

Father Diem's answer to this latest question was just as effective in garnering a look into his personality and methodology as his introduction and physical appearance, if not more so. It was a rather straightforward question with several branching answers each of which holding a different flavor of personality. He might have tried to lie about his escape in order to protect his pride or some third party. He might have plead utter ignorance regarding the particulars to shift curiosity elsewhere. He could have attempted to be overly clever and answer in a passing, aside. Instead, Diem elected to go with the simple truth. Or, at the very least what he believed to be the truth.

On the subject of divine intervention, it was certainly a concept that warranted additional investigation. Though it did raise the question of what made that particular encounter so special to the Almighty. Did Father Diem hold some particular significance in the divine plan? Or was his predecessor correct in his belief that the vampire in question was the true focus of the Almighty? Were that the case, why not simply smite the creature where it stood? Had the Lord God honestly acted to ensure the survival of both? There was simply too little to go off of for the moment. At least not until he had some information on the identity of the vampire and the object he had taken from the museum. In the meantime, he'd have to remember to place shadows on Father Diem as much as possible. If God wanted the man among the living, Saul would be damned if he allowed him to die on his watch.

That being said, his lengthy answer also help worth itself. Simply put, he was a long winded man. He seemed to prefer longer, winding sentences and explanations in accordance with his general soft and pleasant nature. They were the word choices of a man who consciously enjoyed fulfilling the role of mentor to those around him. Though it had already been his plan from the beginning, Matthias took it as the final incentive to focus on a strategy of deference to his predecessor.

"It is an interesting theory, Father Diem. One that some in the Order could stand to benefit from. However, regarding your present state, some might say that a leader who would place himself in such a position is a fool." To his own credit, Matthias' demeanor remained stone-like even in the face of a revelation of divine intervention and a potential insult to his peer. Hidden through his ever present detachment, it was a calculated strike to draw Father Diem's support further into his corner. He had to set up a realistic "other" which sat opposed to Diem while making it apparent that not only were they in the wrong, but that Matthias himself stood alongside Diem in the moral "right". "Personally, I find the only thing less desirable than a leader foolish enough to take such action is a leader without the courage to do so. You have my deepest respect."
Matthias Saul
Matthias Saul

Character sheet
Organization:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Anthony smiled at Matthias's proposal that he was a fool. And outright laughed at his later statement. Though he did nod his head gratefully to the man before him as he proclaimed his respect for him.

A sudden proverb came to his mind after his laughter. "A fool laughs with his mouth open, but the wise man just smiles quietly." It seemed a fool he was then, and he was alright with that.

Anthony spoke to Father Saul apologetically.

"Forgive me father, I did not mean to laugh. I am grateful for your respect and I must say that your words are to my liking. Even if perhaps they encourage me further into a sense of bravado seemingly lost to the modern world."

Anthony took on a slightly less carefree attitude now, and became a little more business like.

"Though I do confess, it is the very thing you praise me for that brings you here to replace me. There are men everywhere here willing to give up their lives for the lord, such as I might have. But there are fewer able to run our sacred order the way it needs to be. That is why I have called you. You are calculating, cool, and above all else. Cunning. Disastrous would it be to place so much power into the hands of someone like you. And that is exactly what I want. I want you to bring ruin, disaster, upon our enemies. Times are changing father Saul, mark my words. The days were a peaceful fool like myself could run True Cross successfully are over. More skilled minds need to take the reigns now. More suited hands."

Anthony selected one paper from his desk and handed it to Saul. This was his last official order as the leader of True Cross. The paper was a white stationary and signed in wax with his seal, a sword crossed with an angelic wing.

Anthony explained it to father Saul. "You shall take over leadership starting today. But this my last order is not to be defied. There is a ember of our order, an outsider, still young, and extremely inexperienced. She has been having trouble adjusting to our ways, and taking her training to a deeper level. She is not to be sent out into the field for a long while now. She has already failed one mission and nearly died. Her adopted mother our champion Veronica will push her into the field yes...she expects to much from her and she has a wild spirit. Be warned of that by the way. No matter what you must give her more time to be properly trained before you send her into the field. That is final."

Standing up once more from Anthony's brown wooden desk he pulled out a green container, made of glass and very small, fitting easily into the palm of his hand. It was something any priest would recognize. Anointing oil. In his other hand Anthony searched for and finally found what he looked for, the letter from the holy father stating his agreement to the ordination of Father Saul into Bishop Saul.

This letter was written on a yellow paper, clad in dusty tan envelope and sealed with his holinesses official seal. It gave Anthony permission to anoint Saul and lower him to the rank of bishop.

"Come Father Saul, it is time to further the ordination rite and anoint you shepherd of my flock. I shall do this in the basement, where the Cathedra waits for us. It shall later become yours of course. And mine shall be moved to a nearby cathedral where I enjoy doing the Sunday masses. They shall be most pleased I'm sure to finally house the seat of a bishop I'm sure."

As Anthony spoke his last line a bit of his business like stature left him, and a small smile crept on to his face once more. He handed the next letter to Father Saul and opened the door for him out of his office.

"If you've anymore question for me I shall be happy to answer them on the way my son."

Anthony used the word son here quite seriously, almost savoring it, as for just a few moments longer Father Saul was still his spiritual child. Though only moments away would his soul be changed forever, and he be granted fatherhood to fathers of this world themselves.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthias Saul Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 pm

While Father Diem began to drone on, Matthias made sure to underline his earlier notation of long windedness in his own mental notebook. The speaking style was an anachronism in the modern world. The sweeping comparisons and pseudo philosophical asides were far more at home in the era of the Renaissance where complexity and pomp reigned supreme. Today, such repetition was simply a better way to lose one's listeners and water down one's own points through inefficient repetition. That, in part, was what detracted so much from Father Diem's attempt to utilize his own compliment strategy against him.

That being said, the newest speech was useful in revealing the cracks in the supposed mental stability that Saul had observed in Diem before now. He would have Saul transform the True Cross from a shield into a sword of the people. Put simply, it was utter insanity but deep down, Matthias was willing to bet that Diem realized that. Becoming a weapon as a simple enough process. Had he truly desired it, Diem should have been perfectly capable of waging a war to his heart's content. No, far more likely was option that Diem was unwilling to dirty his own moral compass with the choices necessary for such a feat or burden the ensuing social repurcussions of it.

His face a blank mask as always, Matthias played the part of the dutiful student that Father Diem loved so dearly while listening to the final order of the current head of the True Cross. Though he didn't say the name of the individual specifically, it was easy enough to determine her identity. Due to her importance to the overall order, Saul had made it a point to memorize the majority of Sister Corvis' personal file. While she had many charges and proteges, special mention had been made to a one Ada Koch. If he were to check the files once more, Matthias had no doubt that her last mission would have be recorded as a failure. Evidently, the Champion was not the only one with an affection for the girl. Useful information indeed.

All things considered, it was not an unreasonable request to hold back an unprepared field agent. That being said, Saul would likely not keep her in check for as long as Diem would have liked. Diem had only specified that she be held until she was better trained. What period of time that encompassed was entirely up to Matthias' own judgement.

With the topic of Koch covered, it appeared as if they were finally prepared to go through with the final details of his appointment. Technically speaking, the process could probably have been accomplished in the privacy of the office with the signing of a few documents but the Church was always such a stickler for pomp and circumstance and Diem appeared all too happy to mention his own retained authority. It was seen nowhere better than in his pleasurable focus on the word "son". Saul had already deduced that Diem was in love with the sensation of being a mentor but that love was clearly not as innocent as he had originally guessed. There was pride there. Pride and an accustomed sense of superiority which the other man enjoyed. It was a weakness, honestly. And a weakness that Matthias would likely be forced to exploit at some point, coming to his dear, generous mentor and teacher when faced with a task beyond his own lacking expertise.

"Thank you again, Father. I hope you'll still be willing to provide me with your wise counsel. I doubt I could do this without you," he said, exiting the office.
Matthias Saul
Matthias Saul

Character sheet
Organization:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:38 am

As they walked to deeper levels of the Head Quarters Anthony continued to smile at Father Saul. He would be undertaking a great burden, but he was sure he could handle it. If he wasn't then he would not have brought him here.

"I shall provide you with no such thing if I can help it Father Saul. I'm not looking to replace myself with an exact replica of me, no, I need you to be you. Don't misunderstand me, I will give everything I have to you if you ask for it. Wisdom, body, and blood. But if I didn't think you were better suited to lead our order than myself I never would have asked you down here."

When finally they reached the simple wooden chair in a brightly lit, lightly colored room, surrounded by white walls and a blue ceiling with a grey floor underneath Anthony once more opened the door for father Saul. There he would finally anoint him, and make him leader of his sacred and beloved order.

"Hear me well Saul. The position of Fatherhood is one of headship yes. But you are to be head of my children as Christ is head of the church. You will lead them, they will obey you yes. But you will be crucified for them. You shall give up your body and your blood for them that they might live. Every part of you will now belong to the fullest extent man can achieve, to your children. He who would be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, shall be the least on earth."

Taking out his anointing oil Anthony anointed the head of Father Saul as he knelt before him to receive the blessing. Anthony went through the age old rite that had been passed down from Christ himself and carried through by his apostles, now in to Saul. When all was said and done he extended his hand to Saul and helped to lift him off his feet.

His son he was no longer, and Anthony felt as a parent must when their child finally grows into their own, and starts a family for them self. Proud and yet sad, he would miss being able to serve Saul like a father. But still the world had gained what he hoped would become a wonderful father.

As Saul was lifted up Anthony stepped down off his seat, and smiling he knelt before Saul his head bowed low. It was not possible for one to ever be Un-ordained. Such a word did not even exist, the soul itself was changed and fashioned closer to the liking of Christ himself. But nonetheless Anthony would take the position of the lowest of servants, first and foremost in line to serve the new leader however he wished. In an act of humility, and obedience. Partly to help cement Saul's authority with everyone else, and partly to help Saul get his feet of the ground should he need it.

"As your first act of Authority Bishop Saul would you hear the plea of your servant? I would like to make a confession to you. And be forgiven of my sins."

Anthony spoke still on his knees to the Bishop before him, this was perhaps the most humble act he could conceive. And he wanted to go through with it so that Bishop Saul would be aware of his willingness to serve, and to become subordinate to him.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthias Saul Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Matthias proceeded through the headquarters of the order in relative silence, content to let Father Diem lead the way and pontificate to his heart's desire. Personal differences aside, it appeared that Saul's predecessor was indeed interested in supporting him through his tenure as the new head of the order. While he doubted that any voices against his authority would be numerous or all that loud, the knowledge that he had Diem in his back pocket as a contingency policy was a hearty relief.

Kneeling before Father Diem for the anointing ritual, Matthias once again spied the basic philosophical differences between the two of them. The very notion of being crucified on behalf of his fellow man, of sacrificing himself on their behalf, was entirely foreign to Father Saul. What value did these people possess that would make such a sacrifice worthwhile? And if they did possess some inherent worth that was yet hidden from him, was his own life not just as valuable as the next man's? In the end it did not matter in the present. Father Saul had not accepted the appointment to be nothing more than a sacrificial martyr for the masses. His reason for being here, his sole reason, was to ensure that the will of the Lord Almighty was done and that meant leading the True Cross in the most efficient way possible. It was a sad fact that humanity in general only seemed to pay attention when things went wrong. For the most part, they held no interest in things that went satisfactory and that was good enough for Matthias. He would gladly fade from memory and history for this position but there would be no dramatic sacrifice torn from the pages of myth and legend.

With the Rite completed, he rose to his feet and looked on with a blank expression as Diem lowered himself to a kneeling position. It was a calculated move to be sure. A public display of loyalty and respect for Saul's new authority. It would require a careful response to both enforce his jurisdiction while endearing himself to Diem. Reaching down, Saul gripped Father Diem's vestments and gently pulled him to a standing position.

"I have no servants to speak of, Father. But I will gladly hear the confessions of a brother," he said, the ghost of a smile appearing on his lips though clearly restrained. Truthfully, the smile had not managed to find a crack in Saul's otherwise robotic air of stoicism. Rather, it was yet another move on the chess board to indicate some sort of enjoyment at the bond the two men now supposedly shared. An outright grin would have been too out of character to pass as believable. It had to be the subtle upturn of the corners of the mouth and nothing more to nurture the seeds of friendship he'd already planted. Besides, hearing a confession was almost always to Saul's benefit. One could only imagine the sort of information he could gather from a story impactful enough to fill an agent of the True Cross with regret.
Matthias Saul
Matthias Saul

Character sheet
Organization:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Anthony nodded his head and allowed himself to be pulled up by Bishop Saul. He noted the small smile gracing his lips and smiled in return, though only slightly. Confessions were after all serious business.

Anthony began with the standard sign of the crucifix and started.

"Bless me Father for I have sinned, it has been a few months since my last confession."

Anthony would go on to describe a couple mundane things that he had done, perhaps a sense of jealousy or failed attempt on his part to help where he thought he ought to have. Then finishing it with his last sin.

"Finally Bishop Saul, I have desired death where I knew it was against the will of God. In my fight against the vampire I almost welcomed it with a reckless abandon, where I might have otherwise escaped. Perhaps it is just my eagerness to meet the lord, but I fear and now believe that is the weakness of my character to go on bearing my rightful crosses."

Anthony's own face was a mask of stoicism for the moment, with perhaps just a hint of regret showing in his eyes. He was indeed wounded by this startling realization of his cowardice in the face of the enemy, and was very worried that after so many years of never feeling this way that such an emotion could not only pop up, but that he would be so tempted to act on it.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthias Saul Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:11 am

Nodding grimly, Matthias stood by in silence listening to Father Diem's confession. As far as confessions went, it was relatively plain even if Father Diem's rather stringent definition of sin was enlightening. The man was honestly convinced that he had committed a sin for throwing himself headlong into combat with a stronger opponent as a member of the True Cross, an organization created for that very purpose. Ignoring the personal contradictions for the moment, Matthias performed the sign of the cross over the confessing bishop. "I have listened to your confession and relieve you of your burdens through the power and grace of the Holy Spirit. Recite ten Our Fathers and ten Hail Marys. Now then, if you will excuse me, Father Diem, I must be off. I still have much to do to prepare for the coming days. God be with you," he said, heading towards and out the door.

====> EXIT
Matthias Saul
Matthias Saul

Character sheet
Organization:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Anthony would finish his penance in the chapel in front of the blessed sacrament, he responded likewise to Matthias Saul and was off with him.

----------------------------------->
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum