Dusk Crusade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm Edit:

4 posters

Go down

Arm Edit: Empty Arm Edit:

Post by Father Anthony Diem Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:27 am

After the battle with Almos the vampire, Anthony's arm having suffered intense damage was replaced with a blessed artificial construction. This artificial arm goes from the finger tips down to the elbow of his right arm. It acts like silver due to it's ultimately blessed nature, and Anthony has the ability to control it manually through the use of feath.

Each finger has a marvelously strong wire attached to it of 20 ft. length, and it is kept inside of the hollow chamber that is his arm. The fingers are able to turn into blades at will, and are also able to bend and lock, allowing for a capital L like shape.

The entire hand, fingers wires and all are all under control of Anthony. He can use this hand freely for a maximum of five posts before he has to resort to using his scripture manipulation ability to control it (lasting a maximum of 15 posts.)

This hand and it's wires functions at maximum human potential.

I will be paying one SP for the initial hand. (Pending approval of course)

Though will later be using SP to increase the abilities of the hand.

The upgrading chart will mirror that of vampires, capping off at level 3 capabilities.

Small depiction to illustrate the arm below.

Spoiler:

Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet
Souls: 2
Organization: True Cross
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Arm Edit: Empty Re: Arm Edit:

Post by John Smith Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Well, no. It acts like a blessing, considering it's blessed and not made of silver. Is it made of silver? That'd be a marvelously poor choice of metal.

How big is this arm that it can hold all 100 feet of presumably high-tension metal cable? And how do these fingers magically become knives? And they can do exactly what normal fingers are able to do? I'd have assumed that without commentary.

This is a really crappy arm if he can't even control it for more than a few minutes.

How is this going to be upgraded? If you guys don't even have the technology to make a functioning robotic arm, why should I believe it can increase past the normal human threshold of strength?
John Smith
John Smith
Admin

Character sheet
Souls: 1
Organization: Independent

http://boblogical.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Feath, Answers just about everyone of those. Don't like that it acts like silver, that isn't a huge deal, I can probably get rid of that. The arm is decent size, and the wires are smaller but I will want this thing to be ridiculously durable. (If we have the tech to make a nano wire that can cut through anything I think we should totally be able to make really strong thin metals, think, Yarn size, but of metal.)

It's crappiness may be accurate but I am totally ok with it, it should help to balance it.

Also I believe True Cross can make cyborg arms and stuff. Not that it really matters here, I'm chalking this down to feth once more. The SP will be used to enhance his feath capabilities specifically applying to this arm. I think it seems reasonable enough.

If you've any other feedback or suggestions I'm open to them, thanks for commenting.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by John Smith Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Magic lets you control pages and make barriers, not perform alchemy. Transforming fingers are not in the normal repertoire of the Vatican's agents. There is a reason we had such a hard time getting magic as an actual system, and it's using it as an excuse to go, "It's magic so I don't have to explain it."

I don't know how to tell you this, but Walter Dornez isn't here. I don't know why he's involved in this conversation, but it's doubtful he consented to it.

They most certainly can make arms, but if this is the cream of the crop their ex-leader gets after a grievous battle injury, they're very far behind all the other groups.

So he's not upgrading the arm, so much as he's using a pre-defined contract from a god to somehow gain additional power not listed in the initial contract, but only in a specific, non-organic part of their body. As a vampire would, no less.

Putting that aside, it doesn't matter how strong you can make yourself, your arm won't keep up with it past a point. You're going try to punch through a brick wall and that thing is going to explode.
John Smith
John Smith
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Once more the drawbacks to this arm are mine to deal with.

This is by far not the cream of the crop, it is merely what Anthony wants. If he wanted a cyborg arm he would get one, he does not. He wants to put his faith, in faeth, and thats that. The "contract" of faeth is not really and has never been any defined formal thing that is completely rigid and solid and impossible to change.

characters can be upgraded through SP yes? Why can't I add in control of Anthony's very own prosthetic arm akin to the pages hat he can also manipulate through the use of one SP. It is a significant part of his life now and very much nearly a part of him. It totally makes sense that such a thing could happen to an injured warrior of the lord.

The one SP is indeed going to, the arm is not all that special, t is metal, admittedly I want it to be as strong of metal as I can get. But that is like getting a new gun, or a new sword, it;s just a metal construct and I would think that almost any character especially the leader of an Org like this could pick that up pretty easy.

The blades on the fingers could easily be do to the construction of the arm, since Anthony can control it directly through faeth he can manipulate that fingers into blades, how? A spike could come out the top and blades out the eges thus forming a blade.

As to Walter I was talking about Eleanor's approved character. Whom has the nano wire that I was speaking of, which is indeed and approved weapon.

Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Veronica Corvis Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Alright, padre, I'm going to take a crack at this to try and make it somewhat more coherent.

You want a prosthetic arm? That's totally fine. We're in 2015 in game, and it's a proven fact that in real life we've got some pretty badass prosthetics that are infinitely better than just a hunk of metal that you're asking for. I know you have a "thing" for Berserk, but we're not in medieval times. We have much better technology that a few pieces of iron welded together with a compartment in the forearm.

However, since I'm the guy who created Faeth as a "thing", I'm going to explain something. Fitting a 100 feet of high-tension wire into the forearm of a prosthetic isn't covered by Faetheric magic - that falls to Spacial Magic entirely since it's basically fitting too much matter into too small of a space, which is an entirely different band of magic that the Church doesn't use. So that's not happening. Faeth isn't an answer to everything, like John previous said. You can't just go "Magic (Faeth), I don't have to explain anything in a logical or reasonable fashion" when you're specifically referring to a physical object with worldly limitations.

In addition, even if you did want to move your arm by Faeth, you'd die. Utilizing Faeth, like all magic, taxes your character just like any other activity they do. Utilizing Faeth to constantly move a prosthetic arm throughout the day, all day, every day, would likely cause you to be extremely exhausted, if you were to use the arm as a normal one for daily activities. Faeth is a tool to combat the supernatural, not make everyday life easier. It's not something you can do without any detriments - you will get tired from overusing it. Hell, even Veronica suffers from exhaustion if she overuses the pages, who's arguably the best Faeth master on the site. Even she can't afford to use it without a good enough reason.

I know what you're going for, but there's a fine line between wanting something you think is badass and needing something that logically functions. My suggestion? Get a normal prosthetic arm that doesn't require the absurd addition of Faeth to move it.

Last edited by Veronica Corvis on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Veronica Corvis
Veronica Corvis
Coder

Character sheet
Souls: 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Harkness Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:07 pm

On a sided note about this "wire" and my sudden involvement in it, I'm going to say that Eleanor uses three (3) feet of it. That's it. That's all they could get to work REMOTELY safely before fingers and arms started coming off. And it is specially housed, AND it has limitations. It is not just Walter wires.
Eleanor Harkness
Eleanor Harkness
Player of the Month
Player of the Month

Character sheet
Souls: 5
Organization: V.W.A.T.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Smith Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Also, I feel compelled to point out that that wire needs a special holder because it cuts through metal like that arm as if it were warm butter.
John Smith
John Smith
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Anthony Diem Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:13 am

Well to Veronica, fair points, but this arm is not intended to be used throughout the day normally. Only on special occasions namely for battle. These wires are small I feel they wouldn't have to much problem fitting in to a long tube like that but I will work on that.

And as for Eleanor's wires I do not mean to say they would function like that at all, I just mean to say clearly the technology of this world has the ability to make some friking awesome wires no? Regardless of if they are cutting things or just really durable. Which is what I want, definitely the nanite wires. At all.

The biggest problem I see with this is not that it is over powered or that it breaks the game or overpowers anything, as much as it is that it's just (supposedly) bad idea. It doesn't work like a normal arm, true, true I couldn't use it in battle without tearing up Anthony's body yes, yes it won;t cut through almost anything I agree, but it's just what I want.

The arm is supposed to be a very simple construction of a hollow tube with some wire and blades on the end. It will be used mainly for battle when Anthony needs it. It is controlled through faeth because that would be the only way to realistically wield such a weapon without cybernetics, which I do not want.

That being said, at this point I may just go down the road to cyborgdom, as the simple approach seems to have been shot down pretty hard. Plus it will probably be more efficient and stuff indeed. I'll come up with a sciencey thing and see how well that comes across.
Father Anthony Diem
Father Anthony Diem
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down